This $4,000 award was established with funding from Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, in honor of Maureen Hayes, to bring together children and nationally recognized authors/illustrators by funding an author/illustrator visit to a library.
The ALSC Grant Administration committee started accepting online applications for the 2019 Maureen Hayes Author/Illustrator Award. Applications and supporting materials will be due by November 15, 2018.
Criteria: Each application will be judged on the following:
- Reasons for the application. The applicant seeks to provide a visit from an author/illustrator who will speak to children who have not had the opportunity to hear a nationally known author/illustrator. Reasons for applying could include: particular contribution; a special celebration, etc.
- Facilities. The appropriateness, both in terms of capacity and accessibility.
- Administrative support. The organization and administrative capabilities of the person or group submitting an application evident in the enclosed budget, and partially manifested in the presentation of the application itself.
- Cooperation with other organizations. The applicant must work cooperatively with other types of libraries (academic, public and school) and bookstores within the local community to provide the author/illustrator visit, thereby also providing a broader audience. The applicant must present the library’s educational goals, as well as evidence of how those goals apply to the local community’s educational goals. The extent to which meaningful cooperation among various local or area groups would suggest an ability to share responsibilities of personnel, time, and money needed to cover local expenses.
- Author/Illustrator visit visibility. Emphasis on the presentation as a distinctive event publicized to and open to all potential attendees in the area is a priority for each Award.