Materials Challenges & Intellectual Freedom
To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help! I’ve received a challenge or a complaint!
Call or email Anne Hamland at:
She will provide immediate personalized information
How to Prepare and Respond to
Challenges & Concerns
- “Boost! Challenged Materials: Prepare Now,” Anne Hamland, WVLS.
- Challenge Support, American Library Association
- Unite Against Book Bans, ALA, a national initiative to empower readers everywhere to stand together in the fight against censorship.
- Freedom to Read Statement, American Library Association
- Library Bill of Rights, American Library Association
- Challenge Support, Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC)
- Steps to take when materials are challenged
- Be Prepared (for a Materials Concern/Challenge)
- Materials Concern Checklist/Tips and Talking Points
- What IF… Library: Frequently Asked Questions and scenarios
Administrative Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Directors
- Administrative Essential 1: The Mission of the Public Library
- The public library’s mission
- The library in the community
- Basic characteristics of a public library in Wisconsin
- Brief history of public libraries in Wisconsin
- Statutory basis of a public library in Wisconsin
- Sources of additional information
- Administrative Essential 15: Policies and Procedures
- Typical library policies
- Policy development steps
- Legally defensible policies
- Policy versus procedure
- Policies for Results
- Policy Audit
- Procedure and procedure manuals
Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees
- Trustee Essential 22: Freedom of Expression and Inquiry
- How the public library promotes freedom of expression and inquiry
- Library board-approved policies that help protect intellectual freedom
- Trustee Essential 23: Dealing with Challenges to Library Materials or Policies
- The need to have a written policy to deal with challenges
- Your responsibility as a trustee in a challenge
Book & Media Lists
- Starred Reviews, in your Youth Services emails, from WVLS & IFLS collaboration
- ALA Book, Print & Media Awards
- ALA: Coretta Scott King, John Steptoe Awards
- Kirkus Starred Titles: Children’s
- ALSC Awards, Children’s Notable Lists, Professional Awards
- Newbery, Caldecott, Sibert, Wilder, Carnegie, Batchelder, Belpre, Geisel, and Odyssey awards and the May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture.
- Exemplary books, videos, recordings, and computer software for children.
- Notable Children’s Recording List – Audiobooks!
- Audiobook Lists
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC)
- WLA Literary Awards
Associations and Blogs
- YSS Youth Services Section, WLA: Resources and YSS BLOG
- The Wisconsin Library Association’s Youth Services Section provides a forum and resource for people in Wisconsin’s libraries who share a commitment to serving children and young adults, their parents, caregivers, and teachers. Adding this section to your WLA membership is FREE.
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), an ALA division.
- School Library Journal
- Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies(ASCLA), an ALA division.
- Public Library Association: Early Literacy
- American Library Association:
Wisconsin Valley Library Service
300 N 1st Street
Wausau, WI 54403