Browse the ALA webpage to learn about Library Card Sign-up Month and prepare to celebrate in a way that fits your staffing capabilities.
- Share these social media images and invite your library users to share what they love about their library, such as; a picture, a memory, a book they just read.
- Language idea: “Happy Library Card Sign-up Month! Why do you love the [insert your library’s name here]?”
- Language idea: “Happy Library Card Sign-up Month! Visit the library for a little surprise when you check out!”
- Win $100 using ALA hashtags in your posts
- This Library Card Sign-up Month, we’re asking everyone to help spread some library love by posting to social media about how the library empowers you for a chance to win. Here’s how it works:
- Post to Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #LibrariesEmpower. Entries can also be submitted by posting as a comment or wall post on the I Love Libraries Facebook page. Don’t forget to tag your library! The creator of one randomly-selected post will receive a $100 Visa gift and an ALA Graphics The Child Poster. Additionally, three second-place winners will receive an ALA Graphics The Child Poster.
- The #LibrariesEmpower promotion begins Wednesday, September 1, at noon CT and ends Wednesday, September 22, at noon CT. All librarians and library lovers are encouraged to participate. The promotion is open to residents of the United States, Washington, D.C., and U.S. Territories. Employees of the American Library Association are not eligible to participate.
Website Graphics & Language:
Use these images and text suggestions on blogs, sliders, or in a feature area using an image module and text box.
- 500×500 Website Image
- 300×500 Website Image
- Borrow language from the ALA Press Release template or PSA Scripts to put on your website with an image.
- Sample Press Release (Word doc) | Sample Press Release in Spanish (Word doc)
- Library Card Sign-up Month PSA Scripts: “Get the school year off to the best possible start, sign up for a library card! September is Library Card Sign-up Month. Visit your library’s website or I Love Libraries DOT ORG today.” OR “September is Library Card Sign-Up Month! Join the festivities by getting your own library card today. Visit your library’s website for more information.”
Ideas for celebrations:
- ALA created an editable BINGO card in Canva: hand out candy or a drawing for something you already have on hand.
- Offer bookmarks or any extra swag, candy, etc. you have from summer reading at the time of check out.
- Hand out larger swag when a person applies for a library card.
- Approach a grocery store or any local business to sponsor giveaways. Offer to place their logo on your social media pages or website.
- Encourage friends to visit their local library and sign up for a card.
Contact Anne Hamland if you have any questions at email@example.com.