This is a full-time position with the Library Services Team of the Headquarters Library in Wausau. Hours can include days, evenings, and weekends. Additional hours to attend meetings, workshops or to fill in for other staff may be required.
This position demands a dynamic, organized, and creative individual to provide outstanding service to our customers and fellow library staff, while working at one of our reference desks. In addition, this position will be responsible for the marketing activities, social media coordination, and public relations for the library. This position will participate in contributing innovative and progressive solutions as part of a cooperative team. The work is performed under the direction of the Library Services Manager.
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or similar field, with two years of experience in a public library or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Customer focused
- Detail oriented
- Lifelong learner
- Strong analytical skills
- Good problem solver
- Technically savvy
- Team oriented
- Comfortable working in a multi-tasking environment
- Enjoys working with diverse populations
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Anticipates and understands customer needs and preferences for information which build and drive the selection of resources and services.
- Assists customers in identifying and finding materials appropriate for their requirements and their abilities.
- Participates in customer service planning and promotion, can articulate the direction clearly and enlists others to jointly work to achieve it.
- Takes responsibility for managing the development of one’s own career, including a commitment to lifelong learning and periodic retooling of personal skills set.
- Encourages and operates in a results-oriented culture.
- Develops and recommends policies and procedures to improve operations and efficiencies.
- Oversees customers and their use of the library maintaining the appropriate atmosphere and discipline depending upon the area and the customers being served.
- Actively seeks opportunities to promote the library, implement and evaluate outcomes.
- Receives, researches, and responds to customer’s questions. Analyzes and anticipates customer’s needs, determines appropriate resources, and provides information for all ages.
- Participates in special projects or short-term committees.
- Acts as a resource for the Library Services Manager.
- Assists and teaches customers to use library resources such as books, on-line catalogs, databases, and personal electronic devices. Also assists customers with library computers and software related questions.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with staff and customers.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance; works extra hours as required.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Thoroughly enjoys working with the public.
- Ability to perform mid-level data analysis including the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize and/or reference data, statutes, and guidelines.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance and/or interpretation to others, such as co-workers and the public, on how to apply policies, procedures, and standards to specific situations.
- Ability to utilize a variety of advisory data and information such as monthly and statistical reports, computer and equipment manuals, board minutes, timesheets, professional literature, policy manual, newsletters, and routine correspondence.
- Ability and willingness to serve customers and staff with empathy, genuineness, eagerness, energy, and enthusiasm.
- Ability to show acceptance and understanding by being open, courteous, and considerate.
- Ability to relate to everyone as a possible source for learning.
- Ability to support leadership and management.
- Ability to communicate freely, openly, honestly, and accurately orally and in writing.
- Ability to contribute helpful energy and creative ideas.
- Ability to follow established procedures in an orderly and logical manner and adhere to prescribed routines.
- Has experience using software such as Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel.
- Ability to excel as a productive and positive team member.
- Enjoys working with all ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Capacity to multitask and handle high volumes of work.
- Ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of objects weighing 20-100 pounds. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Knowledge of library practices desirable, but not required.
Starting hourly rate: $20.12 + Marathon County benefits
To apply and for more information: https://ccitc.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Marathon_County_Careers/details/Library-Specialist_JR-49