The Library Technician carries out cataloging duties for the NTC Library and is responsible for the administration of the Integrated Library System (ILS), the discovery service, and inventory of library collections. In addition this position provides reference services for faculty and students at all NTC campuses including online learners, maintains online databases, compiles Library statistical information, and documents library resources and technology in support of NTC accreditation and research needs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Catalog all library holdings (both original and copy), subject analysis and classification of library materials using national standards as determined by ALA (American Library Association).
- Administer the library’s Integrated Library System (ILS) and serve as a key resource in understanding and troubleshooting issues that impact all aspects of the ILS.
- Resolve questions and concerns about the discoverability of library resources through the library’s discovery service. (EDS – EBSCOhost Discovery Service)
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity of the library database.
- Provide reference services for faculty and students at the main campus, regional campuses and online learners. Assist patrons in how to choose, navigate and use electronic and print library resources.
- Provide group library research training opportunities and individual research sessions in support of student success
- Patron management for students and employees. (PeopleSoft patron import and updating).
- Responsible for compiling all library statistical information.
- Maintain online databases, using documentation and vendor support.
- Serve as a team member of the college’s library services, participating in team meetings, developing library policies and procedures, and contributing to a customer focus and mission and values statements.
- Serve on college or consortium committees as needed. (Example: WISPALS Technical Services Committee).
- Knowledge of all areas of library services including circulation desk and customer service functions. Help library patrons operate library equipment and computers.
- Create subject bibliographies and maintain the library’s program specific guides and subject guides. (Especially Library Research Guides and Topical Research Guides in support of the Diversity Committee).
- Document library resources and technology in support of NTC accreditation and quality assurance needs.
- Responsible for inventory of library collections at all campuses.
- Work with IT/Marketing staff to maintain and update library web pages including links to electronic resources and virtual library services.
- Train student workers and support staff.
- Develop and maintain the NTC Library Archives. Organize, catalog and process historical materials.
- Technical processing and maintenance of library materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree with a minimum of 15 credits in library, media, and/or learning resources required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in library science or related field preferred.
- Occupational experience in library services preferred.
- Masters of Library Science and/or Information Science degree from an American Library Association accredited university preferred.
- Experience with Sierra ILS and EDS (EBSCOhost Discovery Service) preferred.
- Experience with OCLC CatExpress welcome/preferred.
- Must be proficient in cataloging library materials using national standards for machine readable cataloging (MARC) and bibliographic utilities, and import and editing of electronic resource records.
- Must have a working knowledge of library reference tools, techniques, and electronic resources.
- Must be proficient in using computer technologies including Microsoft Office products, databases, online resources, scanners, printers, and other electronic equipment.
- Ability to effectively interact with the public and NTC employees to provide a customer focus and meet the reference needs of library patrons.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills – oral, written, and via electronic media.
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain working relationships with other employees, organizations, and the public.
- Ability to manage details with strong organizational skills.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ntc/jobs/2583665/library-services-technician?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs