The City of Brookfield is seeking superior candidates committed to excellence in municipal library services to serve as their next Library Director.
The City of Brookfield is a residential community of choice located 15 miles west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Celebrating its 68th year in 2022, the community was first settled in 1836 and incorporated in 1954. Besides many fine residential properties and estates, the community is a center of commerce and the site of corporate headquarters, financial institutions, and a variety of both large and smaller business enterprises. The City of Brookfield also possesses one of the premier school districts in the State, serving approximately 7,400 students. The current population of Brookfield is approximately 40,000 with an estimated daytime population of 80,000.
The Library Director is responsible for planning, managing, and administering all phases of library operations in accordance with the mission, goals and objectives, policies and budgetary decisions of the Library Board and the City of Brookfield. Responsibilities include management of library staff; care of the library collections, facility, and equipment; efficiency of the library’s service to the public; and for the operation of the library under the financial conditions set forth in the annual budget. The incumbent reports directly to the Library Board of Trustees and serves as a member of the City’s Department Head team.
The 2022 annual salary grade has a minimum rate of $106,101.58 and a maximum rate of $137,932.08, with excellent benefits. A one-year probationary period is required for this position. When authorized, City employees are eligible to receive annual raises effective January 1 of each year. Commitment to reasonable tenure in the position will be expected of the selected candidate. Residency in the City of Brookfield is preferred, but not required.
The following factors of education and experience have been identified as ideal for the Library Director to possess.
* Have attained a master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited university.
* Possess, or be eligible for, a Grade 1 Wisconsin Library Certificate.
* Have demonstrated leadership experience.
* Possess knowledge of municipal budget development conventions, fiscal management, and strategic planning and goal setting processes.
* Have significant library management experience (five years of progressively responsible library management and supervisory experience in a public library).
* Possess effective communication skills in a municipal library setting.
* Have successful experience in building partnerships with other departments within the City.
To learn more, please see the attached job posting and recruitment brochure.
All inquiries relating to the recruitment and selection process for the Library Director are to be directed to the attention of:
Human Resources Director
City of Brookfield
2000 N. Calhoun Road
Brookfield, WI 53005-5095