Annual Youth Services Workshop
Wednesday, Dec. 4
Wausau Community Room, Marathon County Public Library
300 First Street, Wausau 54403
4.5 contact hours
Register by November 27
- Participants will learn about intentionality in promoting literacy skills during storytime.
- Participants will evaluate their current storytime process.
- Participants will leave with resources and methods for incorporating strategies to build literacy skills during storytime and programs.
9:00 – 9:30 a.m. Coffee and Conversation
9:30 – 12 p.m. Supercharged Storytimes for All
Julia Carlis and Mollie Stanford were participants in the Supercharged Storytimes for All Train-the-Trainer program in 2018 and were selected instructors for Minnesota’s Supercharged Storytimes for All statewide online program. Children’s storytimes are a hallmark of library programming, and thanks to the VIEWS2 research, we know that library storytimes do matter. Intentionally including early literacy strategies with an interactive approach in storytime leads to corresponding early literacy behaviors in children.
Furthermore, libraries are in a unique position to reach children very early in their lives and to connect with parents and caregivers at the same time. The Supercharged Storytimes for All course turns the findings from the VIEWS2 research into practical strategies for library storytime practitioners. This curriculum was developed for WebJunction and OCLC by Saroj Ghoting, early literacy expert, and CiKeithia Pugh, Early Learning Program Manager at Seattle Public Library. Participants will also receive an introductory homework assignment the week of Nov. 11 to prepare for the session.
12 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. Lunch
Register for $8 catered in (pizza, fruit, dessert, beverage) or bring your own.
12:45 – 3 p.m. Storytime Expert Series
- Music and Movement: Jerissa Koenig (Eau Claire)
- Sensory Friendly: Katie Kubisiak (Rhinelander) and Laura Lawler (MCPL)
- Science/STEAM: Krista Blomberg (Rib Lake)
- Nature: Annette Miller (Tomahawk)
If you anticipate needing any type of accommodation, please contact Anne Hamland at: email@example.com or 715-839-5082 ext. 150.