Children's Librarian part-time
SALARY: $25.78 /Hour
OPENING DATE: 11/14/16
CLOSING DATE: January 26th, 2017, 04:30 PM
The City of Wauwatosa is much more than an employer – it's a community. The City of Wauwatosa is a progressive, full-service municipal organization. Be a part of a team that strives to find new and better ways to improve our residents' experiences.
The Children's Librarian performs professional library services in assisting library patrons, especially children, in the selection and use of library materials.
This position is part-time, working approximately 20 hours per week. Some evenings and weekends are required.
The following are normal for the position but shall not be construed as exclusive or inclusive. Other related duties may be required and assigned.
• Staffs Children's Reference Desk (includes some evenings and week-ends)
• Assists and instructs children and adults in the use of library services and resources.
• Troubleshoots computer problems
• Helps patrons use computers and Microsoft programs
• Conducts story-telling and book talk programs for toddlers through children in 8th grade
• Coordinates programs and activities with school librarians, teachers, parents' groups, and community organizations.
• Develops and conducts programs for children to encourage reading, viewing and listening skills, and to use library facilities and materials.
• Examines professional publications and other sources for selection of nonfiction and fiction
• Prepares reading lists for school and community distribution.
• Provides supervision to student library shelvers and volunteers.
Other Job Functions
• Conducts library tours for children, parents, and interested adults.
• Master's Degree in Library Science
• Two years of experience in providing library services to children
• Storytelling experience
• Creative ability to perform in front of groups of children and capture their attention.
• A thorough knowledge of computer applications for library services.
• Knowledge of children's literature.
• Artistic skills used in creating posters, displays, etc. highly desirable.
• Ability to relate and interact with schools and cultural organizations.
• Ability to prepare and deliver brief, concise and attractive reports of library services and facilities both orally and in writing.
• Familiarity with Word and Excel is required; experience with Wordpress and Innovative Interfaces is desired.
We hire people with strong technical skills and who embrace change and who are ready to help make Wauwatosa a better, stronger community. All of our employees are leaders of different varieties and we place as much emphasis on leadership as technical skills. The following leadership competencies have been identified as essential qualities for success in this position:
• Self-Directed and Time Management Skills
• Project Management and Results Oriented
• Team Player
• Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• Analytical Skills and Problem Solving
Receives instruction and supervision form the Children's Services Librarian Supervisor.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
7725 W North Avenue
Wauwatosa, WI 53213