(TechBits, August 1, 2016)
TechSoup for Libraries hosted a webinar in May on teaching older adults technology at the library.
The webinar featured two guest speakers:
- Steve Black, the founder of TechBoomers, who shared information about this free resource for technology training.
- Kathy Faubion, a computer class instructor from the St. Mary's County Library in Maryland who shared how she teaches technology to the older adults in her community.
The TechBoomers mission is to "improve the quality of lives of older adults by empowering then to learn how to use technology." TechBoomers offers over 80 free courses and over 1,000 videos, and article tutorials, with plans to add more in the future.
- basic technology tutorials
- internet tutorials
- Ancestry.com course
- Google search course
- and more!
Additional resources for teaching adult patrons technology and computer skills:
- Mousercise: essential for mouse and webpage familiarity
- DigitalLearn.org: Beginner level, 6-22 minute length courses
Submitted by: Anne Hamland